10.26.2016

Hospital Bag

If you are anything like me, those last few weeks of being pregnant consisted of a ton of research. Basically, I sat and googled all kinds of things. 

Postpartum just say no- do as I say not as I do... you'll find out soon enough

How to take care of a baby?! which you will continue to google in the weeks after

How to change a diaper? do people still use baby powder? do I put butt cream on every time? how do they get diaper rash?

Breastfeeding tips? natural means easy, right?... wrong.

and most importantly What goes in the Hospital Bag?? 

So here I am to let you know what I put in mine.. what I used, what I didn't use and all my thoughts on the matter. Please remember though, every labor and delivery is different. Some people are in the hospital waiting to deliver for fifty million hours and some people it only takes a few- keep that in mind as you read. I might not have used some things, but you might want to. It's all about what you want!

Our delivery wasn't super long. I labored most of the day at home and went in when I was 7cm (whoops) which ended up being at about 4:30ish when we got checked into the hospital. I didn't end up having my sweet precious until 11:00 pm that night. And yes, that night counted as our first night there, so we were in and out fairly quickly. I always like to say that you'd rather be safe than sorry and am always a proponent of being extra prepared so even though I didn't use everything on this list, I might have if we had been there longer or had a longer labor. Also, don't freak out if you forget something.. chances are someone from your family or a close friend can go back home and grab whatever you need. 

Hospital Bag Checklist:

FOR MOM 
  • Nursing nightgown (2) or a 2 pairs of pj's that are easy to nurse in. I say 2 because the first night I got peed on and had to wear a non nursing nightgown which was quite complicated
  • Nursing Bra  if you are going to be in non-nursing pjs
  • Going home outfit
  • Make-Up because it makes you feel more normal when you have visitors
  • Robe 
  • Socks my hospital gave me some pretty legit socks when I got there... it's nice to be prepared
  • Toiletries
  • Shower Shoes I didn't really use because we had someone come and sanitize our shower every day
  • Straightener/Curling Iron again to make you feel more like a normal person
  • Hairbrush
  • Toilet Paper if you are picky about the thin hospital toilet paper
  • Miralax just do it. Start drinking it ASAP when you get to the hospital I promise you won't regret it. You can drink it during pregnancy too if you'd like
  • Spark because my hubby needed caffeine especially after sleeping on that couch all night
  • Chargers for the electronics
  • Bluetooth Speaker if you want to play music during labor. I didn't because I was so distracted by everything else I forgot
  • Extension Cord or something that you can plug multiple things into
  • Bible
  • Baby Book
  • Birthing Ball basically an exercise ball if you want to use during labor - I used this at home before I went to the hospital. Had an epidural at the hospital, so no need for it there
  • Cell Phone
  • Purse
  • Camera 
  • Boppy Pillow or something for breastfeeding
  • Snacks for the hubby

FOR BABY
  • Couple of cute onesies bring multiple sizes because you don't know how big your baby will actually be - grab some newborn and some 0-3 month stuff just in case
  • Hat
  • Halo Sleepsack our hospital provided one for him to use while we were there, but good to have anyways plus yours might be cuter :) 
  • Going home outfit
  • Blanket
  • Carseat installed, checked, and make sure you know how to insert baby safely

Everything else that you need the hospital probably has... like:
  • Amazing mesh panties all the praise hands
  • Massive Diaper Pads 
  • Icepacks 
  • Peri Bottle
  • Nipple Cream
  • Numbing Spray
  • Witch Hazel wipes
  • Any medicine you normally take I found out that they have to administer this, they don't allow you to take the ones you brought with you

and then you come home with a little squish like this. 



Did I forget anything? Please feel free to leave extra things that helped you when you were in the hospital too! The more input the better! 









No comments:

Post a Comment